We are all familiar with the trusted foil container being used to package our favourite takeaways, or to store our leftovers, individual pies and puddings, or for separating meals into portions for the freezer. But why is aluminium foil the go to material for this?
Back in 1911 aluminium foil was used for food packaging for the very first time – by none other than Swiss chocolate company Tobler, who started wrapping their chocolate bars, including the famous Toblerone, in foil.
Nowadays, 70% of the aluminium foil produced globally is used for food packaging - from tea bags to biscuits, pies to fizzy drinks.
Aluminium is the third most abundant element, after oxygen and silicon, and has a unique combination of properties such as flexibility, impermeability, strength, conductivity, corrosion resistance and compatibility with other materials. Such properties make aluminium foil the ideal option to replace the other numerous types of food packaging. Add to this the fact that, surprising though it may seem, aluminium foil is also recyclable, and it becomes apparent why it is the most widely used food packaging material worldwide.
Some benefits of foil containers:
- Temperature Range – unaffected by the extremes of freezing or high heat. Store in the freezer or heat in the oven.
- Impermeable barrier – maximises shelf life of food due to neither loss nor gain of moisture or odour and is not affected by the impact of light.
- Hygiene – does not provide a habitat for micro-organisms and does not corrode.
- Economical and easy to stack and store – restaurants can stock up on different sizes.
- Lids – cardboard lids, also recyclable, allow easy labelling of contents.
- Keep dishes hot or cold - ideal for takeaways.
- Individual portion sizes – perfect for batch cooking.
Here at QAR we can supply you with individual foil dishes in economical packs of 2000 – ideal for those puddings – sticky toffee, summer, sponge, or whatever takes your fancy.
The 3000 pack of perforated foil dishes – perfect for portioning up for the fridge or freezer (and of course can go straight to the oven to save on time and hassle).
Our 1000 pack foil containers – again ideal for storage or takeaways – keeping dishes at the desired temperature till it’s time to eat!
Give QAR a call to discuss the best foil options for your needs.